Outlandos Fan Club
|Outlandos Fan Club|
|Fanclub for:||The Police, Sting|
|Current status:||Inactive (became Sting.com and ThePolice.com)|
|Annual dues:||Originally ₤2.50, later ₤5.00|
|Maintainer(s):||Dee, Tina, Dave, Wendy|
- In April 1979, the official fanclub for The Police, Outlandos, was launched in London, England. Annual membership dues were at first 2.50 pounds. It was originally run by Dee with assistance from Paul Carter. The first Outlandos newsletters were simple, photocopied sheets of A4 paper with news, information and clippings. Eventually it settled into a regular A5 newsletter format, published quarterly plus a Christmas Card.
- In the summer of 1983, the BBC held a contest for the best music fanclub, and Outlandos Fan Club won the competition.<ref name="history" /> Tina became involved in running the club at this time as it grew considerably in size after the publicity.
- While retaining the Outlandos Fan Club name and continuing to provide some coverage of Stewart and Andy's solo activities, the fanclub became more focused on Sting's solo career from the late 1980s onward.
- In 1996, Sting fans Dave and Wendy, members of Outlandos Fan Club opened the Stingchronicity fansite. This site was used by Tina as a way to communicate on-line with Outlandos Fan Club members and was a semi official, "unofficial" Sting site.
- In 2003, sting.com went through another overhaul with the release of Sacred Love. It was then decided that sting.com would replace the old Outlandos offline fanclub with a new, entirely on-line fanclub.<ref name="history" /> The site would host exclusive content including video and photos available only to subscribers, along with contests and other bonuses. It was an still is run by Dave, Tina and Wendy.
According to a membership flyer from the late 1980s, members received the following merchandise as benefits for joining the club:
- a color biography booklet with information about each member of The Police
- a set of photos, a membership card, and a badge
- a list of merchandise available from the fanclub
- quarterly Outlandos newsletter
sources: Outlandos newsletters, internet